Windows 7 suggestions February 10, 2008Posted by rjdohnert in 1.
Microsoft claims it listens to customers and they do listen more than most other tech companies. Microsoft for the most part tries to keep people happy but when that desire starts to interfere with your experience using that software it can lead to problems. So here are my suggestions for Windows 7.
1. Goodbye classic: Classic is like one of your old friends that mooches off of you, watches your porn, raids your fridge and tries to sleep with your girlfriend. get rid of the classic look. Vista basic is sufficient and its great for the older computer’s that can’t handle Aero.
2. Modulize backwards compatibility: Backwards compatibility when built in by default leads to lost resources, memory usage increases. My suggestion make those bits available as an installable module. If thats outside the scope of what Microsoft wants to do, build in a VM player, refer customers to DOSBox and/or work with the Wine team to make Wine available for Windows 7. While business users use old apps consumers for the most part dont and Microsoft eventually will have to do like Apple did and get rid of “Classic Mode”.
3. Get rid of product activation: Won’t happen, I know but product activation is a failure and its time to quit wasting your resources and just move on. I have a better chance of having a threesome with Shakira and Beyonce than I do of Microsoft ditching product activation.
4. Version hell: There should be 2 desktop editions. Windows 7 and Windows 7 business desktop. 2 versions not 9 not 12 not 4. Anything else falls in the realm of value added software and should be available if the user wants it. Make it available as a download or sell add-on CD’s/DVD’.
5. Standards: Make Windows more standards compliant, quit trying to create your own standards to promote lock-in. May the best software win, not, may the best software win because we rely on Microsofts stack.
Those are only a few ideas, I could write a book but for me those are the most important. What suggestions do you have?